Please read the following very carefully. Proper orientation is extremely important for your safety and the safety of those around you. Do not hesitate to ask a staff member if you have any questions about the following orientation.
As you climb the wall, anticipate falling and recognize that you may fall at any point while ascending. At any point you want to return to the floor, down climb and descend using any of the bigger, easier adjacent climbing holds instead of just jumping down. If others are obstructing your descent vocally address them and ask that they clear the area Before you begin climbing be sure that the space below where you are climbing is free of other climbers and items.
Falling zones are areas beneath where someone is climbing and they could fall. It is important that you do not climb or walk underneath anyone. If they should fall, one or both of you may be injured.
It is also important that you do not climb on top of or above another climber. If you should fall, one or both of you may be injured.
Do not pass through a falling zone at any time! Wait for current climbers to finish their climb before passing through the area. Be actively aware of what's above you at all times as you walk through the climbing area. It is the responsibility of everyone to keep UB safe. If you feel someone or something is dangerous, say something.
Topping out, or standing on top of the wall apparatus is limited to the specific top out boulder and should not be done anywhere else in the gym. Once a top out is attained, move safely past the edge and proceed to the downclimb area to minimize your risk of falling and allow others to climb.
In order for everyone to have a great experience it is important to take turns climbing on routes, or where routes cross paths, or where routes share fall zones. Whoever starts climbing first has priority.
In case of emergency alert the staff, who are trained to assist, or call 911 immediately. There is a phone at the main desk. Also, a first aid kit is available for minor injuries.
Climbing with Minors:
Children 11 years and younger are required to have direct adult supervision while in the padded climbing area. There must be one adult for every 2 minors to keep everyone safe. UB staff have many responsibilities and cannot be counted as direct supervisors.
Urbana Boulders Facility Rules
All visitors must read this list of rules
Urbana Boulders and its staff reserve the right to refuse service and to refuse entry to any visitor or any visitor’s guest, and also to remove any visitor from the grounds for any reason.
All visitors are required to fill out and follow the user agreement waiver.
All visitors must uphold the principles of the mandatory climbing orientation at all times.
Urbana Boulders is not responsible for your personal property whatsoever. Please secure your belongings accordingly.
Visitors will be held accountable for any damage to Urbana Boulders property. You break it, you buy it. You spill it, you clean it.
All visitors must act in a safe and intelligent manner at all times and must not be impaired in their duties to create a safe environment for all.
- Minors age 11 and under are required to have direct adult supervision while climbing.
By checking this box I, , have read and agree to the above rules.
RELEASE OF LIABILITY
READ CAREFULLY – THIS EFFECTS YOUR LEGAL RIGHT
In the exchange for participation in the activity of rock climbing organized by Urbana Boulders, LLC of 1502 North Cunningham Avenue, Urbana, Illinois 61802.
I, of , agree for myself and if applicable for members of my family to the following;
1. AGREEMENT TO FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. I agree to observe and obey all posted rules and warnings, and further agree to follow any oral instructions or directions given by Urbana Boulders, LLC, or the employees, representatives or agents of Urbana Boulders LLC.
2. ASSUMPTION OF RISKS AND RELEASE. I recognize that there are certain inherent risks associated with rock climbing activities offered by Urbana Boulders LLC and I assume full responsibility for personal injury to myself and (if applicable) my family members, and further release and discharge Urbana Boulders LLC for injury, loss and damage arising out of my or my family’s use of or presence upon the facilities of Urbana Boulders LLC, whether caused by the fault of myself, my family, Urbana Boulders LLC, or third parties.
3. INDEMNIFICATION. I agree to indemnify and defend Urbana Boulders LLC against all claims, causes of action, damages, judgments, costs or expenses, including attorney fees and other litigation costs which may in any way arise from my or my family’s use of or presence upon the facilities of Urbana Boulders LLC.
4. FEES. I agree to pay for all damages to the facilities of Urbana Boulders LLC caused by any negligent, reckless, or willful action by me or my family.
5. APPLICABLE LAW. Any legal or equitable claim that may arise from participation in the above shall be resolved under Illinois law.
6. NO DURESS. I agree and acknowledge that I am under no pressure or duress to sign this agreement and that I have been given a reasonable opportunity to review it before signing. I further agree and acknowledge that I am free to have my own legal counsel review this Agreement if I so desire. I further agree and acknowledge that Urbana Boulders LLC has offered to refund any fees that I have paid to use its facilities if I choose not to sign this agreement.
7. ARMS’ LENGTH AGREEMENT. This Agreement and each of its terms is the product of arms’ length negotiation between the parties. In the event any ambiguity is found to exist in the interpretation of this Agreement, or any of its provisions the parties, and each of them, explicitly reject the application of any legal or equitable rule of interpretation which would lead to a construction either “for” or “against” a particular party based upon their status as the drafter of a specific term, language, or provision given rise to any such ambiguity.
8. ENFORCEABLITY. The invalidity or enforceability of any provision of this Agreement, whether standing alone or applied to a particular occurrence or circumstance, shall not effect the validity or enforceability of any other provision of this Agreement or of any other applications of such provision, as the case may be, and such invalid or unenforceable provision shall deemed not to be apart of this Agreement.
9. DISPUTE RESOLUTION. The parties will attempt resolve any dispute arising out of or relating to this Agreement through friendly negotiations among the parties. If the matter is not resolved by a negotiation, the parties will resolve the dispute using the Alternate Dispute Resolution (ADR) procedure referred to in the following paragraph.
Any controversies or disputes arising out of or relating to this Agreement will be submitted mediation in accordance with any statutory rules of mediation. If mediation does not successfully resolve the dispute, then the parties may proceed to seek an alternate form of resolution in accordance with any other rights and remedies afforded to them by law.
10. EMERGENCY CONTACT. In case of an emergency please call (Emergency Name),(Relation), at (phone number), or at (email). I HAVE READ THIS DOCUMENT AND UNDERSTAND IT. I FURTHER UNDERSTAND THAT BY SIGNING THIS RELEASE, I VOLUNTARILY SURRENDER CERTAIN LEGAL RIGHTS.
PARENTAL CONSENT. THE UNDERSIGNED, AS PARENT AND OR LEGAL GUARDIAN OF A MINOR ELECTING TO PARTICIPATE IN ACTIVITIES OFFERED BY URBANA BOULDERS LLC, UNDERSTAND THE NATURE OF CLIMBING (BOULDERING) ACTIVITIES AND THE MINORS EXPERIENCE AND CAPABILITIES AND BELIEVE THE MINOR TO BE QUALIFIED, IN GOOD HEALTH, AND IN PROPER PHYSICAL CONDITION TO PARTICIPATE IN SUCH ACITIVITY. I HEREBY RELEASE, DISCHARGE, COVENANT NOT TO SUE, AND AGREE TO INDEMNIFY AND SAVE AND HOLD HARMLESS URBANA BOULDERS LLC AND THEIR AGENTS AND EMPLOYEES FROM ALL LIABILITY CLAIMS, DEMANDS, LOSSES OR DAMAGES ON THE MINORS ACCOUNT CAUSED OR ALLEGED TO BE CAUSED IN WHOLE OR PART BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF URBANA BOULDERS LLC, THEIR AGENTS AND EMPLOYEES INCLUDING A NEGLIGENT RESCUE OPERATION AND FUTHER AGREE THAT IF DESPITE THIS RELEASE I, THE MINOR, OR ANYONE ON THE MINORS BEHALF MAKES A CLAIM AGAINST URBANA BOULDERS LLC THEIR AGENTS OR EMPLOYEES DESCRIBED IN THIS DOCUMENT, I WILL INDEMNIFY, SAVE, AND HOLD HARMLESS URBANA BOULDERS LLC THEIR AGENTS AND EMPLOYEES FROM ANY LITIGATION EXPENSES, ATTORNEY FEES, LOST LIABILITY, DAMAGE, OR COSTS ANY MAY INCUR AS A RESULT OF ANY SUCH CLAIM.